About

This blog was mainly created to fulfill my curiosity on web-blogging and all its features. What I include in my posts are things that picture the way I perceive the world and its attributes. Most of the photos added to enhance my posts are adapted by internet searching. If the legal owner of a photo feels offended or doesn't wish me to use his/her photo, please feel free to contact me and I will remove it immediately. My primary goal is to express the meaning of things as I sense it and not to take advantage of others work and creativity. Thank you for joining...hope you like it.....

20/05/2011

Kabbalah Red String...celebrity fashion

Wearing a thin red string (as a type of talisman) is a custom, popularly thought to be associated with Judaism's Kabbalah, to ward off misfortune brought about by an "evil eye" (עין הרע in Hebrew). In Yiddish the red string is called a roite bindele.
The red string itself is usually made from thin red wool thread. It is worn, or tied, as a type of bracelet or "band" on the left wrist of the wearer (the receiving side).
 

In the late 1990s the red string became popular with many celebrities in the United States, including many non-Jews. Led by Madonna and her children, those that have taken to wearing them have included: Michael Jackson, Rosie O'Donnell, Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore, Paris and Nicky Hilton, Sienna Miller, Paulina Rubio, Rhiannon Greaves, Gwyneth Paltrow, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Ritchie, Charlize Theron, Mariah Carey, Lucy Liu, Kylie Minogue, Mick Jagger, David Paterson, Naomi Campbell, Britney Spears, Camilla Parker-Bowles, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, David and Victoria Beckham, Avril Lavigne, Sandra Bernhard, Reese Witherspoon, Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Lauren Conrad, Anthony Kiedis, Alex Moore, English Socialite Ollie Lloyd, celebrity journalist Jeffrey Rodack, and Jennifer Bahng.
This resurgence is often linked to Philip Berg's controversial Kabbalah Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment